Thursday, April 7, 2011

What Do You Mean I Am Not Invincible? Part 1of2

Incidents and Accidents.



Sometimes I think that I should solicit a bandage company as a sponsor. I am a walking advertisement for sports tape and braces. Maybe I can get a job as a tour guide for the Egyptian artifacts section of the museum as a talking Mummy. That is a bad joke as mummy jokes so often are. Truth be told I would not be good in that position anyway as I have never found artifacts to be all that interesting. I prefer paintings and photographs. Particularly the ones that look like they have been created by children; the ones you walk by and say, I could have done that. But you did not do it, now, did you?

At various moments I wonder if I NEED all my digits to fight since they so often like to fracture, sprain, bruise, dislocate. Perhaps I can just keep the ones that are necessary. I make a mental note about how I should research this on the internet but always I forget to do so and assume this is because I get hit in the head too much. Someone is going to have to take care of me when I am old. I hope someone loves me enough to do that or at least has enough pity for me to put me down gently. Whichever comes to pass I hope that whisky and cigarettes are involved.

All fighters are constantly injured and/or in some physical pain. Most I feel are still so young to be having to deal with this already. I am grateful to have begun my fighter’s life later. I do not think that I would have been better at this in my youth. When we are young we are more fit in body than in mind and when we are old we are more fit in mind than in body. When we are really really old… well that is a different conversation. Today my body and mind are enjoying a time of balance. Today I am older than I have ever been. Today I am all around better than I have ever been.

bruises. sprains. pulls. strains. the shadow of a black eye that's been there a week 
but I am in denial denial denial. 
hairline fractures. dislocations. lost epidermis. scratches. gouges. 
oh you need that bit of skin more than me do you? DNA sample? memorabilia? what? 
push me. punch me. kick me. sweep me. tackle me. throw me down. crush me. bend me. 
smother me. choke me. this is fight training. this is love.
May 19, 2010 at 2:06 pm

1 comment: